Positioning your home to sell quickly is not just about making it look nice. Staging is an important part of a marketing strategy. Geography and price point matter, as well as knowing your buyer. For example, industrial & modern style is a cornerstone of staging urban homes. Unlike traditional interior design, staging creates high impact vignettes to distract and redirect the eye. Less is more. Strategically placed furniture of the right scale makes a room feel larger, and using one style throughout adds flow and harmony.
Author Archives kathyregini
Remodels are a big investment and having a design professional help you navigate the endless possibilities of products, materials, and finishes will help the process go more smoothly. It can actually save you time and money, while increasing the value of your home. Not to mention the peace of mind of knowing you are not making costly mistakes!
Selecting and combining new items to incorporate into an existing home is not intuitive. Also, space planning is very important to create a cohesive flow throughout. Last, if you are not sure what your personal style is, a designer can help you define that.
The end result of a remodeling project is so exciting: updated finishes, a new color palette, a new chef’s kitchen or Master retreat…the possibilities are endless! But a successful remodel is not always smooth. tips to live by:
- Account for the unexpected. It’s not a perfect world and unforseen problems and delays are part of the process.
- Get 3 bids and check references. Did the contractor deliver on time and on budget? Plan on having an extra 20% of the quoted cost on hand…you may not need it but reduces stress knowing it’s there.
- Hire a designer to make sure all the design elements come together to complete your vision.
- Do not make the final payment until you are satisfied.
- Stay positive!
Spring is here-time to think about improving your outdoor areas to enjoy for summer. I like to be inspired by resorts I’ve visited. Here are elements to consider to create a retreat feel:
- A pergola or other covering creates a cozier space, and provides shade on hot, sunny days
- Water features or outdoor fireplaces make for a beautiful focal point
- Create privacy with a wall or row of dense, tall bushes
- Incorporate lots of greenery and flowers for a lush feel
- Have different zones for dining and lounging
- Coordinated seating-furniture should have a common theme
If you are selling your house or just need a change, consider white walls. White has enduring appeal and with good reason. It makes spaces feel larger and the ceilings higher. It’s a wonderful blank canvas so your art work really pops. Just add neutral texture with soft goods and wood, and it’s a timeless classic. Finding the right shade can be a daunting task, however because there are so many whites. In my experience, for a soft and relaxed feel, a warm white works best, such as White Dove by Benjamin Moore. I recommend it more than any other.
To create a wonderful home office that you actually want to work in, here are some ideas:
- Keep the look consistent with the rest of your home.
- Comfort is key, but try not to use those black”office chairs” found at office supply stores. They are not homey!
- Use some wood tones for warmth-offices that are all metal, plastic and glass just don’t feel good.
- Utilize attractive storage solutions to hide office clutter, and cords.
- Have plenty of good lighting-task & ambient.
- Hang beautiful art.
- Add additional seating is space permits.
- If you office already has wood floors and wood built ins, consider lightening things with a gala table desk and a light colored rug.
With the first day of Spring upon us, it’s time to banish those winter blues by bringing fresh new greenery inside. Especially if you are selling your home, place some vases around the house with your favorite early Spring bulbs and flowering branches…Snow drops, Crocus, Irises, Tulips and Daffodils all say welcome to Spring!
My new favorite window treatment is the solar roller shade. It’s simple, clean, and there are many fabric choices ( from very sheer to opaque, and even black out). And they are economical. For the ultimate luxury, they are also available motorized and programable so can be controlled with your smart phone!